In math, we finished up Unit 6 and started Unit 7 on Friday, which covers multiplication facts. You should start working on your multiplication facts, but they won't be reflected in the time tests until next trimester.
In reading, we're in theme 2, which is about traditions. We finished our first selection called The Keeping Quilt and had a test on it on Friday. We also worked on compound words with a fun word surgery activity.
This week we wrote the final drafts of our "It Drives me Batty" and Kindergarten Buddy expository paragraphs. We also worked on paragraph organization and a fun Halloween inference project.
We wrapped up the bean unit in Science. We also continued to work on our field guides in preparation for our Jasper Ridge field trip next week.
In social studies, we finished working on our directions unit by experiencing the compass rose.
We ended the week with a fun Halloween art project and an exciting spooktacular!
Here's what's coming up next week:
- Book reports are due on Monday. Students brought home guidelines for their oral presentations along with an oral presentation rubric. We'll use the same rubric for all of our oral presentations this year. I've also posted it on the resources tab under the Language Arts section.
- We'll continue our work on Unit 7 in Math. The test will either be at the end of next week or at the beginning of the following, depending on how we progress.
- In reading, we'll read the selection Anthony Reynoso: Born to Rope and will have a selection test on Friday.
- Next week we'll be doing a Halloween expository paragraph in writing.
- In science, we'll start our crayfish unit and continue working on our field guides.
- Social Studies will be focused on our elections unit.
- Wednesday is Halloween! Remember that students need to change into their costumes at or right after lunch.